PS204 Summative Essay Assignment

PS204 Summative Essay Assignment

PS204 Summative Essay Assignment The written coursework is the summative assignment worth 100% of the PS5204 course mark. This is completed individually. The exact instructions are given in the Assignment Information sheet on the course moodle page. Below are some answers to frequently asked questions for further clarification. Frequently Asked Questions: How much should I focus on the background literature vs. the methods The bulk of your essay will be about the different techniques or methods and their suitability for answering the chosen research question (RQ). 4,000 words: A suggested split Briefly outline the research background (literature) no more than 20% Outline two techniques, and how they can be used to answer the RQ?30% Then evaluate and decide which method (or combination of methods) is better and why 50% Are an introduction and conclusion required A brief introduction showing how you will tackle the research question and which two techniques will be evaluated could help the reader follow your assignment. You are asked to evaluate which technique would be most appropriate to investigate the research question; thus a conclusion is necessary. How should I structure the assignment Should I use sub-headings It is important to ensure your work is presented clearly and is formatted in such a way that the reader can easily follow it. You may find it helpful to use sub-headings in your assignment. You could, for example, have two main sections: the rationale for and background to the research question, followed by an evaluation of the techniques themselves. These could be further divided into subsections. The two techniques could be considered together, or one after the other but remember you are comparing and contrasting the two methods. Consider how the structure of your assignment can best enable you to achieve the aim of evaluating which techniques would be most appropriate to investigate your research question. Should I include a description of the two techniques The focus of the assignment should be on the evaluation of whether the techniques are appropriate for the research question, not on describing the techniques. However, it would be sensible to ensure that the reader can understand the points made in your evaluation and that you demonstrate that you fully understand the techniques. Therefore a brief description of the techniques could be appropriate, with a specific emphasis on characteristics of the techniques relevant for evaluating them with respect to the research question. Should I include a methodology section for each technique This assignment is not a research proposal or a project write-up; methodology sections should not be explained in detail. For example stating exactly what the procedure would be or exactly how many participants would be recruited for a technique, would not be answering the assignment task. However considering methodological details may help you to evaluate which technique is most appropriate. For example if one technique requires many more participants to be recruited to fully address the research question, this may make it less suitable than another technique because of the greater logistical demands. How do I choose the two techniques to evaluate You are advised to choose any two techniques covered within the course lectures or you may choose a technique that wasn’tcovered in any detail in the course. Some lectures will have looked at one or two techniques in depth, and others will have covered a type of technique and mentioned several techniques within this. The evaluation is likely to be more straightforward if you pick specific techniques (thematic analysis versus interpretative phenomenological analysis) rather than overall types (e.g., quantitative versus qualitative). Think carefully about which techniques could be appropriate to investigate your research question. Do not pick techniques which are clearly not appropriate; this would indicate a lack of understan

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.